Project: Globulation 2 Full Time Programmer
The project Globulation 2 is suffering from a lack of work on it. So it is my and the general consensus of the community that a full time programmer should be hired to work on the project.
The programmer would have to listen to the demands of both the donators and the community, and be able to put aside personal aspirations in order to achieve what the community desires. The programmer would have to be able to put in at least 40 hours of work per week on the project.
Areas that need upgrading include the online-play, the map editor and random map generators, general new features like pre-game alliances, improved campaigns, and a large variety of other requested features mentioned on the Wiki, on the forums and on the mailing list.
The programmer would need to be able to produce results in a reasonable amount of time. If not, then the donations would be revoked, and perhaps a programmer found, depending on the vote of the donators. Individual donators can add feature requests as part of their donations.
R1: Giszmos sketch of a roadmap (wishlist)
by Giszmo on 22 Jan 2008 01:53
Average rating: (1)
Just let me dream a bit what could be done within half a year of full time programming ... Clear goal should be a 1.0 release so this would be my roadmap:
- Fix the network layer
- Fix major other bugs (games that remain open, invisible forbidden areas that don't get refreshed, autosavegame that can't be loaded, some crash bugs, ...)
- test for _documented_ 30 games without crashes logged on the wiki played with release candidates of windows, MacOS and Linux (Debian) version 10 games each.
- Release 0.9.2 (We quickly need to get something out to our community that works.)
- Prepare the yog screens for more than 20 players at a time (now nobody would know what game to join and chat is not split by hosted game and lobby (tabs have been proposed))
- An event system that can play sounds depending on view port, fog of war and team belonging (if sounds get done as offered these days)
- task switching should be possible (go windowed during game)
- get VOIP running on all plattforms
- (Paving areas to allow arbitrary placement and upgrade of buildings without regard to clearable ressources. Don't know how commonly this is considered important)
- improved task-unit-allocation (weighted instead of greedy job assignment (already finished except for a crash bug i can't sort out)) including a fix for http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?item_id=19488 (globs choose task if there are more tasks than globs)
- feature freeze
- heavy testing with at least 50 games without crashes logged on the wiki.
- gui-freeze one week before
- Release 1.0
5 Bids (€151)
The following donations will be made to the developer upon successful completition of the project:
- €30 by descl (1 Jan 2008 19:51)
- €10 by aldomvas (27 Jan 2008 01:11)
- €31 by Plouj (6 Feb 2008 06:05)
- €30 by DaveC (17 Feb 2008 01:11)
- €50 by glua (3 Nov 2008 01:47)
- €2610 by genixpro: full time programmer, 6 months for €2610
- €2000 by DeltaOne: Looking for a enjoyable time with learning experience.